Chibuzor Nelson Azubuike known by his stage name, Phyno is a famous Nigerian rapper, singer, producer, and songwriter. He was born on 9 October 1986 into a family of 5 in Enugu State, but a native of Anambra State. He is the fourth child of a family of 5 and has four siblings. He started his career in 2003 as a music producer. He released his debut studio album “No Gut No Glory” in 2014. He is known for rapping in his local dialect, Igbo and blends it with English, and Nigerian Pidgin. Hence, fans always compare him with the Yoruba rapper, Olamide. Phyno is currently among the richest artists in Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $10 million.
|Full Name||Chibusor Nelson Azubuike|
|Stage Name||Phyno or Phyno Fino|
|Profession||Rapper, singer, and songwriter|
|Date of Birth||9 October 1986|
|Place of Birth||Enugu State|
|Genre||Afrobeats, Hip Hop|
|Record Label||Penthouse, Sputnet Records|
|Social Media||Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook|
|Albums||No Guts No Glory, Deal With It, Something To Live For.|
|Current City||Lekki, Lagos State.|
|Years Active||2003 till date|
|Education||Studied public administration at the Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu.|
|Net worth||$10 million|
Phyno Early Life And Education.
Phyno was born on 9 October 1986 in Enugu State, but a native of Anambra State Nigeria. He was born into a family of five (5) and he’s the fourth child. During his secondary school days, he developed an interest in music production. His father didn’t approve of his decision because he felt no good living in music. While in secondary school, he learned how to play piano, drums, and other musical instruments. After completing his secondary school, Phyno went ahead to study public administration at the Institute of Management and Technology in Enugu state. He initially wanted to be a pilot but was told he could be a doctor. Phyno was very zealous with his dream, he placed it above other things. His efforts were fruitful as he started profiting from music during his second year in school. His stage name “Phyno” derived from the word ‘phenomenal’, was given to him by his high school friends because he always liked to stand out back then in school.
Phyno Musical Career
Phyno started his music career as a producer in 2003, but later deviated to rapping in his local dialect “Igbo” which gave him exceptional fame in the music industry. While in secondary school, Phyno learned to create his version of every song he heard. In 2012 Phyno began working on his studio album “No Guts No Glory” and it was officially released in March 2014 by Sputnet Records and Penthauze Music. The album featured 20 tracks and gained guest appearances from Nigerian top artists which include, Stormrex, Olamide, Mi Abaga, Omawumi, Ice Price, Runtown, Flavour Timaya, Psqaure, Illbliss, and Mr. Raw. The album’s lead single “Ghost Mode” featured a guest appearance of the Nigerian rapper, Olamide won the Best Collabo at The Headies in 2012 and also won The Best Collabo at the 2013 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. In March 2013, the album’s second single Man Of The Year(Obago) was released by Sputnet Records and its virtual was uploaded on YouTube on 20 August 2013. The single “Man Of The Year” won the Best Rap Single at 2012 The Headies Awards. The video got banned from circulating by the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation(NBC) in September 2013. The virtual for Phyno’s 2014 hit “Alobam” (an Igbo slang for My Guy) was released by Sputnet Records, it was produced by Major Bangz and Directed by Clarence Peters. In April 2015, Phyno did a collaborative album “2 Kings” with Olamide, and became the first of its kind in the Nigerian Music Industry. In March 2019, Phyno announced the release of his third studio album “Deal With It” with hit singles like ‘Ride For You (feat. David), ‘Ma Chi’ and ‘Oso Ga Ene’ with guest appearances from Davido, Olamide, Falz, Kcee, Zoro, Don Jazzy, Runtown, and Teni.
While everybody was still recovering from his 2019 album “Deal With It”, Phyno visited the studio again to unleash another engrossing album, which he captioned “Something To Live For”. The album accommodates sixteen (16) impressive tracks with guest appearances from Beeper, Jay Teazer, Flavour, J’dess, Pappy Kojo, The Cavemen, Olamide, Peruzzi, and D Smoke. The album was widely accepted, capped music platforms, and also returned positive feedback from music pundits.
Phynofest Tour, Hennessey Tour, and Star Music Tour.
In 2013, Phyno toured with D’banj, Burna Boy, Kay Switch, Vector, Picado, Seyi Shey, SDC, and Chidinma as a supporting act on the 2013 Hennessey Artistry Club Tour. In June 2013, Phyno performed in Owerri for 25 minutes as part of the Star Music Trek Tours. In Enugu 2014, he performed at the 2014 edition of the Star Music Trek in Nsukka. In 2015 Phyno had his first Phynofest show at Chuba Ikpeazu Stadium in Onitsha, Anambra state with an attendance of about 12,000 people, the following year the venue was changed to Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu State to honor the city he started his career with an attendance of over 30,000 people and featured guest appearances of Mr. Eazi, Olamide, Lil Kesh, Zoro, Burna Boy, Kcee, Patoranking, Psqaure, Onyeka Owenu, and MI Abaga. In November 2017, Phyno brought back Phynofest and put together the biggest concert in Africa, with over 50,000 attendance, featuring Nigerian stars Like Yemi Alade, D’banj, Timaya, Lil Kesh, Mayorkun, Ycee, Flavour, Zoro, Runtown, and Duncan Mighty
Phyno Net Worth
Phyno is currently one the richest and also one of the most successful entertainers in Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $10 million
Phyno Endorsement Deals.
- In August 2014, Phyno alongside other two celebrities Olamide and Eva Alordiah became an Ambassador of Guinness Nigeria. The deal was renewed in 2015.
- In 2015, he signed an endorsement deal with Nigeria’s telecommunication network ‘Airtel Nigeria’ worth 50 million Naira.
- In 2015, he signed a deal with Nairabet that earned him millions of Nairas.
- In 2018, he bagged an endorsement deal with the Nigerian Breweries as the brand ambassador for Life Lager Beer. Later that same year, he was crowned the brand ambassador for Monster Energy.
- In March 2019, Phyno alongside Teni bagged an endorsement deal with the TomTom company, Cadbary Nigeria Plc.
- Roll Royce Phantom worth N210 million
2. Range Rover Sports worth N90 million
3. Bentley GT Coupe worth N75 million
4. Toyota Avalon worth N10.5 million
Polaris Slingshot; worth N7.2 Million
Phyno owns two houses, one in Lagos and the other in Enugu. He owns a luxury three-flat duplex that cost him a huge sum of N170 million at Chevy View Estate, Chevron Drive in Lekki and others in Enugu costs him N70 million.
Phyno Awards And Nominations
- The Headies Award; Phyno has been nominated by The Headies in 13 times and he won 3. He was nominated twice in 2012, nominated six times in 2013 (won 2), and also nominated 5 times in 2014 (won 1)
- City People Entertainment Awards; Phyno was nominated four times by the City People Entertainment Awards and he won one. He was nominated twice in 2013 and was also nominated twice in 2014 (won 1)
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards; he was nominated 3 times and won 1. He was nominated once in 2013 (won) and nominated twice in 2014.
- African Muzik Magazine Awards; Nominated twice in 2013 with no win.
- Nigeria Music Video Awards( NMVA) ; nominated once in 2013 with no win
- Channel O Music Video Awards; Nominated once in 2014 with no win
- MTV African Music Awards; nominated once in 2015 with no win
Phyno Songs And Albums
- O Set (feat. Psqaure)
- Financial Woman (Feat. Psqaure)
- Ghost Mode (feat. Olamide)
- Man Of The Year
- Fada Fada (feat. Olamide)
- Ride For You (feat. Olamide).
- Do You Wrong (Feat. Olamide) And lots more.
- No Guts No Glory (2014)
- 2 Kings feat. Olamide (2015)
- The Play Maker (2016)
- Deal With It (2019).
- Something To Live For (2021)
In a chat with Tribune, Phyno said he will take Igbo rap to the next level. According to him, he does indigenous rap because he loves and values his culture, adding that we cannot continue to emulate International rappers for long. At some point, we have to be ourselves, and rapping in Igbo makes him feel the real him.
Thanks for your time. Please endeavor to share with friends and family. And let us know how you feel about this post.